Our Systematic Phased Approach
Helping our client's understand the available carbon markets, the various forest carbon protocols, and the overall project development process.
CarbonVerde provides comprehensive independent consulting to forest landowners interested in accessing the voluntary and emerging compliance forest offset market. We work closely with forest landowners to develop a long-term mutually beneficial relationship built on trust. Based on a landowner’s forest management objectives, forest inventory, and risk profile, the CarbonVerde team advises landowners on which forest carbon offset protocols are options, and which is best for them.
We use a systematic phased approach for helping our client understand the available carbon markets, the various forest carbon protocols, and the overall project development process. Transparency is vital throughout this process, and we work independently and with full confidentiality to protect our client’s interests. We keep our client fully informed on up to date developments and options so that they are confident in making the best decisions to suit their needs.
Phase One: Understanding Markets and the Project Development Cycle
- The CarbonVerde team helps landowners understand the current and evolving state of the voluntary and emerging compliance forest carbon offset project markets in the US and internationally.
- The CarbonVerde team educates forest landowners on technical and financial aspects of the project development cycle; providing complete transparency for the landowner as they decide if a forest carbon project is right for them.
During this phase, the CarbonVerde team works with the landowner at no fee.
Phase Two: Eligibility Assessment
- The CarbonVerde team evaluates the eligibility rules of the market and protocol option(s) to determine if, and under what conditions the landowner’s forest project would be eligible.
- The CarbonVerde team educates forest landowners on the timeline, activities, and financial commitments required throughout the project development cycle, including forest protocol requirements for project design documents, validation (if required), project implementation and on-going management, verification, submission, and registration of credits.
During this phase the CarbonVerde team evaluates the landowner’s forest management objectives and their current forest inventory, conducts an eligibility assessment of chosen market and protocol option(s), and makes recommendations that match the landowner’s risk profile.
Phase Three: Feasibility Assessment
- The CarbonVerde team conducts a comprehensive feasibility assessment of the project that estimates the expected range of commercial value of the carbon credits, and the capital requirements for implementing a project and registering these carbon credits. We work with the landowner to understand the range of options for financing this phase and future phases of developing the forest carbon project.
During this phase we conduct a full economic assessment of the chosen market and protocol.
Phase Four: Project Implementation and Credit Registration
- The CarbonVerde team works with trusted sources of investment capital; providing our client alternatives that can mitigate financial risks. Originators and private equity firms offer a variety of options to help fund project development and on-going verification in return for a portion of the carbon credits derived, and we help our client determine the best fit.
- The CarbonVerde team conducts all project management activities, including working with a landowner’s trusted forestry consulting firms on forest inventories, determining the without-project baseline and with-project carbon stocks, conducting growth and yield modeling, and developing auditable emission reduction carbon accounting systems required for verification.
- The CarbonVerde team prepares the landowner to undergo third-party verification and works with the landowner to manage the selection of an accredited third-party verification body and the verification process.
- The CarbonVerde team advises and works with the landowner on all registry data and verification reporting.
- The CarbonVerde team advises our client on the various carbon registry options and guide them on managing their registry account.
- The CarbonVerde team advises our client on the potential project risks and options to eliminate those risks through available buffer pools or carbon insurance vehicles.
During this phase we manage all aspects of project development and implementation to the registration of the carbon credits. This phase is the most capital intensive and will vary greatly depending on the project location, chosen market and protocol, and the status of the current forest inventory.